Sunday, January 11, 2009

Aposto Pizzeria: Plain, Veggie, and Vodka Pizza

On Friday night, when one would hope to find a happy and lively place to eat, I sat down with my friends Lena, Eve, and Anna at Aposto, a pizzeria and restaurant. I had heard a lot about this place from people in town, and it was strange to go somewhere I had never eaten before. 
The first thing I noticed was the decor: red and white checkered table clothes, lights strung around the windows, and a giant pear next to the door. "I like the lights," was the first thing my friend sad. It was charming, I thought. Outside the door was a little patio. I remember seeing people sitting there in the summer; it always seemed like a lively place to eat.
Unfortunately, the next thing I noticed was that it was just the three of us and the staff.  Now it's fine for there to be lulls in customers, but it was a little bit strange to be the only three people for almost the entire meal. 
The menu included a good choice of appetizers, pizzas, sandwiches, and entrees. Like most pizzerias, the pizza and salads were vegetarian, while most of the entrees had meat. I have to admit, it was really tempting to order one of the fettucini dishes and ask for them to remove the meat. There were a few standout items on the menu, however. The first thing I noticed was the Spanakopitakia , a spinach and feta cheese appetizer. The next were the rather unique pizza types such as the "Vodka" pizza or the "Napoli" pizza.
I eventually decided on a simple slice of vegetable pizza. Eve and Anna both also got slices, and Lena ordered the Spanakopitakia, and we all shared mozzarella sticks. Since I was so hungry, I was happy to see them bringing our food just a few minutes later. 
The pizza was actually quite tasty, and I was especially pleased that it was hot. I'm always disappointed when I order pizza and get it cold. The mozzarella sticks were the absolute perfect texture. The crunch from the first bite is always an important factor. Lena's Spanakopitakia was delicious, too. I don't usually like feta cheese with spinach, but the flaky layers of dough balanced them well. Lena commented, "I thought at first they had too much spinach, but once I ate more of it I tasted more cheese. It was really good." 
After finishing our meals, we went to the register to pay. I was last in line. When the woman behind the counter just started ringing up my check, the phone rang. I expected her to maybe talk and let me pay at the same time, but she turned aside instead and began to talk. A few minutes later she hung up, apologized, and typed in a few more numbers as my friends stood by, waiting impatiently. Just then, her cell phone rang, and she that up as well. Finally, five minutes later, she told me how much I needed to pay, and I left. I laughed about the wait at the register, but I realized that I had actually enjoyed most of the experience.

Rating: out of ★★★★★ (✫=1/2)
Food: ★★★✫
Service: ★★★
Atmosphere: ★★
Vegetarian variety: ★★✫

Aposto
76 Raritan Ave
Highland Park, NJ 08904

(732)745-9011

A menu can be viewed at: www.jerseymenus.com

23 comments:

  1. Looks like you got the typical teenage treatment at the register! I like your description of the restaurant the best, followed by the mozzarella sticks. I'm glad you have foodie friends for your dining adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This place sounds good!!! Also, maybe you could write a post about your setbacks as a vegetarian, I could imagine it must be hard sometimes, or maybe you don't notice it at all....I would be curious to read something like that

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pizza.....I wonder what the vodka one would taste like. It sounds as if they have some very interesting combinations to choose from. I agree that it is a little iffy that they only had the three of you in the place. Unless you ate there on a Sunday night? <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re to both your comments on my blog: Yes, I've always wondered about Barber shops also...maybe we should talk Jeff into putting his two cents in on the topic. I know, there is always that chance of someone you know being the one to hear all those juicy secrets. Worse: What if you're talking about them!? : /

    For the article I wrote on the privileged, I know. And that's partly why I wrote about it because they're so consumed by their appearances. People should know that there's more to life then cars and clothes....but some really don't. A mixture of heiress syndrome and bad parenting can cause a lot of grief!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now here is something I like to eat! I love pizzerias. It sounds like you had some good food, but poor treatment. I wouldn't have been so passive and waited, but that's just me. I should try going there and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Siobhan: Oh my friends are very foody :) And I'm glad they are... so I don't have to always go eating alone :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eden: I do plan on my next or close to next entry being about just eating as a vegetarian in general... it can get kind of tough :/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emma: I ate there on a Friday night.. I'm not sure.. it seemed like quite a charming place for the summer (with the patio and all). And yes, the pizza choices were very very unique. There were all sorts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jeff: I was pretty passive, actually... I kind of just stood there until she hung up the phone. I can be very patient, but I thought I should mention it in my blog entry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha. Patience isn't my best quality... Although you mention fettuccine, you don't go into much detail about pasta. For me, having pasta is a make or break issue at a pizzeria. It's my favorite dish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you guys prefer thick or thin crust? I really like thick crust, though maybe not to the extreme of Chicago pizza..then again, Chicago pizza is pretty great.

    These pizzas sound fun, Robin. I love when there are different/unusual choices.

    When I lived in Nebraska, you could only get pizza at chains: Pizza Hut etc. Then I saw a restaurant in Sioux City, IA once, an Italian place, and their motto on the building was, "Cooked by Real Italians"--can you imagine that in NJ?! I laughed so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  12. PS: Robin next time you need to get all up in that woman's face! Bring Jeff along.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Siobhan: No non-chain pizza places!?!? I think I would die!! I hate all those chains. Heh I think NJ would have a heart attack...
    And yes, I agree. I'll make sure to notify Jeff as soon as anyone is giving me any problems!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahh, you make me hungry, Robin! Maybe I'll check out this restaurant myself soon.
    I admire your good good-natured humor about the waitress picking up 2 (two!) private phone calls in front of a waiting customer. I think I would have made a sour face, ..at least. Teenager or not, everyone deserves respect in equal measure!

    Poldi Binder

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahem...you can bring Jeff along as long as you take me with you two. lol. I actually really am in love with Italian food. Italian food is my weak spot especially pizza and pasta. I don't know for sure, but I think it has to do with a certain brown haired brown eyed someone which has led my Friday night and Saturday night dinners to consisting of penne in vodka sauce. I'm addicted! <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh of course, you are invited too :)
    Yes, I like Italian food, too. Idk.. that restaurant was reviewed as more of a casual pizzeria than as a nice restaurant, if you know what I mean. They didn't have gourmet dishes or anything like that..
    But still, Italian food is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a great place to eat. A very detailed review. I really like pizza and Italian food. I might just have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's nice for a casual lunch or something... nothing fancy. They do have a patio that aways LOOKS really nice in the summer, because people are sitting out there and they have lights up.. it's tiny, but maybe worth it?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like you really didn't like this place....I can tell by the 'feel' of the article....and wait....for a second in the second paragraph, I thought you were going to come to the light........and fianlly EAT MEAT.... ; )
    But you stayed in the dark....lol
    Overall the article was awesome
    But I won't be visiting this place anytime soon....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh dear Juan... You should know by now I wouldn't give in that easily! Besides, it's not really a temptation at this point... in fact, meat kind of grosses me out. Hence the not eating it, haha.
    The place was awful. Yikes. Don't go, please.

    ReplyDelete
  21. well it wasn't awful.. more like.. the overall feel was just not too great.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yea, I understand, there is a place near my house that use to be very clean and the owner would be very social... Now however it is dirty and the owner hardly ever comes out and greets his customers
    The food is decent but the environment seems a little hostile....

    ReplyDelete
  23. Exactly!! I'm glad someone understands:)

    ReplyDelete